In 1841, Woodland was founded with the specific intention of building a magnificent cemetery that would be groomed to serve the needs of a city that was expanding fast. Since the very beginning of its existence, Woodland has served as a repository for Dayton's history and its inhabitants' culture. It has been entrusted with the care of over 110,000 souls, making it the ultimate resting place of many of Dayton's most notable citizens, such as the Wright brothers, Paul Laurence Dunbar, James Cox, and Erma Bombeck, and Charles Kettering.
The administrative office, the chapel, and the Romanesque Gateway are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Tiffany window in the chapel is regarded as one of the most beautiful examples of its kind in the United States. The Arboretum was elevated to the classification of a Level II Arboretum in the autumn, making it one of the most notable green spaces in Ohio. It spans over 200 acres and has 3,000 trees, 10 of which are either current state champions or have held that title in the past. Fantastic post.
Walking through Woodland is still one of the most popular things to do in the Dayton area, and it's a great way to unwind and have fun. In the first place, it continues to operate as an active cemetery, providing services to more than 1,600 burial and cremation families each year. Even though the cemetery has been in existence for more than 175 years, there is sufficient undeveloped ground available to accommodate more than 50,000 graves. This would be equivalent to the cemetery operating for more than 100 years. However, Woodland, like many other businesses in the funeral industry, is aware that cremation is quickly becoming the most popular option for ultimate disposition. This trend is expected to continue for the foreseeable future. The staff and the board are working hard to ensure that the organization is still relevant to the community. Woodland will try to accommodate these changes and those that may arise in the future to retain our commitment to the cemetery that was committed to us by the board that established the cemetery.History
Woodland Cemetery has been held in high regard as a place of eternal rest for more than 175 years. Over 110,000 lives have been committed to its care, making it the last resting place of many of Dayton's most notable citizens, such as the Wright brothers, Erma Bombeck, Paul Laurence Dunbar, and Charles Kettering. The cemetery is also home to the cremated remains of many other renowned Dayton locals.
In 1841, to meet the demands of a rising city, a cemetery was established "on the outskirts of Dayton." This was done to accommodate the growing population. Since the beginning of time, Daytonians have been able to rely on Woodland Cemetery as both a place to reflect and find solace in their daily lives. Woodland has an eye toward the future while maintaining its commitment to preserving its history and continuing its legacy. For Woodland to continue to provide availability well into the next century, the cemetery must be included in all new construction and any plans for its reconstruction.
Dates that are historically significant for Woodland Cemetery and the city of Dayton, Ohio, are as follows:
1841: The "Woodland Cemetery Association of Dayton" is established by a commission from the Ohio Legislature.
1843: On June 21st, the cemetery was consecrated. Allen Cullum was buried for the first time on July 9th.
1844: The year when construction began on the home of Sexton and the fence and streets.
1847 saw the construction of a receiving vault with an Egyptian-inspired design.
1887 marks the completion of the construction of the Gateway, Chapel, and administrative office that were planned by Peter, Burns, and Pretzinger Architects and built in the Richardsonian Romanesque style.
On Easter Sunday in 1882, the property was opened to horse-drawn vehicles and wagons.
In 1898, the chapel's size was increased to what it is now, and a basement was added to be utilized as a receiving vault.
1904: Henry C. Lowe contributed $10,000 to the project's finances as a memorial gift to memorialize his daughter Marianna. Tiffany Studios, located in New York City, was contracted to remodel the chapel's existing interior. Everything was finished, including the windows, the floors, and the frescos.
In 1908, 35 acres of land were acquired from the University of Dayton. The two sides were connected by the tunnel erected under Stewart Street.
In 1910, cemeteries began allowing vehicles on the grounds, but only hearses for funerals and burials.
1912: The year that Wilber Wright was laid to rest at Woodland. The Waldo Street entrance is finished with a guardhouse and some wrought-iron gates.
In March of 1913, the bodies of fifty flood victims were buried.
In 1951, the cemetery was connected to the city water system, at which point the pump building was sealed up and boarded up.
The year 1961 marked the beginning of property sales in the Southern District.
In 1969, the Public Mausoleum was opened, which also housed the City of Dayton's first crematory.
In 1979, the 1887 Administrative Office, Chapel, and Front Gates were added to the National Register of Historic Places in the United States.
In 1980, lawn crypts were erected, accompanied by a columbarium with 96 niche units. On top of it was the centerpiece statue known as "Soaring Spirit," which Dayton artist Robert Koepnick sculpted.
The cemetery's first computer was acquired that year to begin documenting activities.
1991 was the year when Woodland celebrated its 150th birthday. This year, a construction and remodeling project with a budget of $1.2 million will be finished. The Woodland Arboretum Foundation has now officially come into being.
In 2000, the Mausoleum had extensive renovations, which resulted in the construction of an additional annex, the Victorian Room with Fountain, and the Bronze wall.
In 2001, Woodland launched its online presence with a website.
In 2004, construction began on the "Pine Ridge" section of the cemetery's Historic District.
In 2009, Woodland transferred its historical documents to the Special Collections and Archives section of the Wright State University Libraries to categorize and preserve them. Check this out >>>
They are committed to their care. In a serene, lovely, natural setting, comfort the grieving with sympathy. Preserve Woodland's history and beauty forever. You can visit their website or call (937) 228-3221 for more information.